Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Many Dramas of Pregnancy

Well, just when I thought things were going great with the pregnancy, I get hit with a little more drama. I woke up Monday morning with dull lower back pain. I knew something was different, because I usually don't wake up with back pain, but develop it if I have been on my feet a lot that day. The back pain was consistent throughout the day. Nothing we did would relieve it. I tried resting, heat and Charlie even gave me a massage. So, I decided to just go to bed. I did not sleep but maybe 2 hours Monday night, because the pain was getting worse. When I got up Tuesday morning, I had more symptoms that were developing, so I decided to call the OB on call at the hospital. He said that it sounded like preterm labor and told me to be at the office first thing when it opened. Charlie took the day off of work, so that he could watch Micah and be there if I needed him. At the doctor's office, they did a test to see if I was at risk of going into labor in the next 2 weeks or so. We had to wait 24 hours for the test to come back, so I was sent home on bed rest. The bed rest was nice, because I really did not feel like doing anything else. I called the office Wednesday morning for the results and praise the Lord, the test came back negative. That was a huge blessing, but the doctor said that I still needed to take it easy with no exercise and lifting of Micah, because that does not rule out that I could deliver this baby a little early. She gave me a couple of medications, one for the back pain and one to take for the contractions. I am feeling a good bit better today, but still not like I was before this hit. The doctor thinks that the baby may have moved into a bad spot and is causing the pain in my back. Charlie and I joke all the time that this little boy is being a stubborn one. But with each new complication that presents, I am more convinced that this needs to be my last pregnancy.

No comments: