Friday, March 24, 2006

Step by Step

Well, I don't know whether to cry or jump for joy right now. Micah's therapist came today to do a fine motor evaluation. When she was done with the evaluation, she started working with him on walking. This week, we have been practicing walking while holding one hand. He can walk well with one hand, but as soon as we let go he falls to his bottom. Well, today the therapist stood him up, held the seat of his pants and let go of him. He realized that he was standing on his own and he tried to reach out for her. She stepped back, so that he could not use her to balance. I was sitting on the floor a few feet in front of him. I called for him to come to me and he took me by surprise when he took a few steps on his own. I could not believe what I was seeing. My baby was taking his first steps!!! He fell before he got to me, but he tried again, made it and fell into my lap. He was so proud of himself! It was an emotional moment for both of us. I am sure the therapist felt proud to see us experience that moment for the first time. Therapy has been so good for him! I am not sure how much longer it will be before he takes off on his own and starts walking, but taking steps is a huge accomplishment! He had tubes put in on Wednesday, so this is evidence that his ear infections were causing some balance problems. Ear infections don't explain everything, but we may see a huge turn around in Micah now. What a blessing! We have to make many sacrifices for me to stay home with Micah, but it is days like today when I realize those sacrifices are worth it! I would not have wanted to miss Micah's first steps.

No comments: