Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Lord Protects

Last night, I was thinking about my blog. I knew that I needed to post something, but did not know what to post. Life has been pretty busy, but uneventful lately. I could not think about what to post on. Well, an outpouring of the Lord's protection took place early this morning and I feel as if I need to praise him publicly.

We never realize when an emergency is going to rise and test our abilities to remain calm and help as needed. This morning, Noah awoke as happy as ever and ready to eat. We went through our same routine of feed, change and play. He was lying on the couch cooing and then all of a sudden burst out in a pain cry. I knew that was not like him, so I rushed to pick him up. The minute I picked him up, he shut his eyes tight and refused to open them. He laid his head on my shoulder and did not move without being prompted. I tried to get him to respond for about two minutes, but was not successful...his eyes remained shut. At that point, I decided it was time to wake Charlie. He jumped up out of bed, took him and laid him on the bed. At that point, he began to flail, but would still not open his eyes. I knew that it was not a life or death emergency, because he was breathing and had a pulse. My first thought was that he was having a seizure. We pried his eyes open and realized that his left eye was watering. We were relieved, realizing that he probably just scratched his eye and was acting the way that he was due to the shock his body probably experienced from the pain. He then started to develop what looked like a rash on the left side of his face. I contacted the doctor on call and he said that he probably got something in his eye and to watch him over the next hour. If he was not better, then he would meet us at the office. Thankfully everything turned out just fine. Noah's eye finally stopped watering and the blotches around his eye disappeared.

That is probably the first time that I have ever felt sudden fear and panic for one of my children. After I knew that Noah was fine, I couldn't help but think that it could have been a lot worse. It could have been a life threatening situation. We never know when we will be faced with such a situation. Our health and safety is not guaranteed, but we will always have assurance that the Lord protects and blesses in every situation that we face. It is only by His grace that some situations do not turn out a lot worse.

2 comments:

Nancy White Kelly said...

What a scary experience. I had a couple of those with Charlie and Bobby...Charlie when we were told he had a hole in his heart (6 weeks old)and from the pediatrician's office in STockbridge we rushed him through Atlanta traffic well over the speed limit on the way to Eggleston. I never prayed so hard in my life.

The other time was when Bobby, about age 5, swallowed a piece of candy and was choking and turning blue. I held him by his feet upside down shaking him until it dislodged.

Thank God, Noah's problem wasn't serious. Makes us appreciate the normal.

Sarah said...

Thank you tori for this powerful testimony and I am so glad that Noah is fine now. The Lord was definitely with you.