Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Speech Therapy

It has been a little while since I have posted an update on Micah. He is doing well with his gross motor skills now. He has almost caught-up. The therapist still comes, to keep an eye on him and make sure that he doesn't regress. She is now working with him on his fine motor skills (Occupational Therapy) more then anything else. For so long, we focused so much on the gross motor skills that he has fallen a bit behind on the fine motor skills. I am sure that he will catch-up with this soon as well. Both areas of his development are just something that I am going to have to remember to stay on top of. I just thank the Lord for therapist that are trained in these areas and that Micah is able to benefit from their services.

Micah's Physical Therapist has been keeping a close watch on his language development for several months now. His development in this area has been some what of a concern to her, so we have been in the process of getting a speech evaluation. We have been trying to get the evaluation now for a couple of months and finally yesterday the Speech Therapist met with us. The therapist shared tons of information with me and I should say that we have our work cut out for us. It was all a little overwhelming. The therapist said that he is pretty sure that Micah has some sort of speech problem (which may be related to his other delays) but he just could not diagnose it until he has worked with him more. He is pretty certain that he is not a "late talker," but that there is some other issue. He noticed something different about the way Micah uses his tongue. He showed me some exercises to do with Micah to try and get him to have full use of his tongue. This, he said is also the reason why Micah will not eat meat. It is going to be a lot of work and I am a bit discouraged. He could not tell me for sure that Micah would have full language development. Yesterday, I had a bit of a pity party. I just kept thinking about how hard things might be for him as he goes through school. But I am also thankful, because I know that it could be a lot worse. The Lord has chosen for us to travel down this road with our precious son. It would not have been the one that I would have chosen for Micah, but I realize that the Lord knows what is best for us and Charlie and I both want to be in His Will. Besides, nothing will change the way that we love and care for him. Just keep him in your prayers and pray that the Lord give me patience.

No comments: